103 - Lasting Impressions
Often referred to as the nectar of the sea, bouillabaisse is in
fact a rich and hearty seafood stew. The simplicity of this recipe
is its main attraction. The way it looks when presented will bestow
upon your friends and family a truly lasting impression!
six to eight
- 1/2 cup white onion, roughly chopped.
- 1/2 cup celery, roughly chopped
- 5 leeks (white part only) roughly chopped into rings
- 1/4 cup fennel, roughly chopped (optional)
- 5 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 5 tablespoons chopped curly parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped oregano
- 7 cloves crushed garlic
- zest of one orange
- six skinless, seedless tomatoes (canned tomatoes also work
well, maybe use seven tomatoes as they're generally smaller)
- 1 five and a half ounce can (156 ml) tomato paste
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- one tablespoon paprika
- one tablespoon crushed black peppercorns
- one teaspoon saffron
- one teaspoon salt (Hint: Mix all spices together in a bowl)
- 2 cups clam juice (two small bottles)
- 5 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
(There are no true amounts; the goal is to assemble six to eight
cups in total of seafood. Use more of the seafood that you enjoy.)
- bay scallops
- jumbo shrimp
- little neck clams
- salmon fillets
- monkfish (option: swordfish)
- Heat olive oil on medium high. Add the roughly chopped vegetables
(white onion, celery, leeks) Saute for a few moments until the
vegetables become translucent.
- Add garlic cloves, chopped parsleys, oregano and orange zest.
Stir until well blended.
- Place food mill over pot and pass through the skinless, seedless
tomatoes. (Option, add canned tomatoes)
- Add blended spices.
- Add can of tomato paste, clam juice and water. Stir to blend.
- Add seafood (bay scallops, shrimp, calamari, clams, mussels,
salmon and monkfish)
- Give everything a good stir, then drop bay leaves on top.
Reduce heat to simmer, cover pot and allow the bouillabaisse
to simmer for 45 minutes. Do not remove the lid of the pot while
the bouillabaisse cooks. This allows all of the flavours to
- You may wish to garnish the bowls of bouillabaisse with a
wedge of lemon.
A nice French Chardonnay would compliment this Bouillabaisse.
French baguettes make a good bread accompaniment